Audiveris installation

4 posts   Feedicon  
Replies: 3 - Last Post: May 26, 2014 13:26
by: jlpoole
showing 1 - 4 of 4

Posted: February 20, 2012 16:29 by Hervé Bitteur
I'm working on Audiveris installation and a Windows Installer (a .MSI file) is about to be released.
This was the opportunity to clean up a few things, and I would like to check if the new approach will also fit the needs of other platforms, namely Linux and Mac OS X.

Basically, the (Windows) installer will install things in 2 locations:
  1. A read-only location, typically "<home-drive>: /Program Files/<company-name>/audiveris-4.1beta"
  2. A read-write location, typically "<home-drive>: /Documents and Settings/<user-name>/Application Data/<company-name>/audiveris-4.1beta"

These locations names are for a Windows XP machine, those for Windows 7 are different but easily derived.
Internally, the Audiveris Java application reads from or writes to these 2 locations according to the task at hand.

My question:
- Is this approach more or less compatible with Linux and with Mac?
- How can I address these locations from the application Java code in the specific cases of Linux and of Mac?

Thanks in advance for any advice
/Hervé

Posted: February 22, 2012 17:35 by Hervé Bitteur
Today, I published:
- audiveris-4.1beta.3162-src.zip (archive of all source items)
- audiveris-4.1beta.3162.msi (Installer for Windows)

The installation strategy should be compatible with the Linux/Ubuntu environment, using the XDG recommendations.
Feedback from Linux users would be appreciated.

/Hervé

Posted: May 20, 2014 22:01 by alavarre
Hervé hello:
>My question:
- Is this approach more or less compatible with Linux and with Mac?
- How can I address these locations from the application Java code in the specific cases of Linux and of Mac?

I can speak to Linux:

The convention under Linux is to install software as the root user, which makes it available to all users. Most programs I've seen get installed to /usr/bin/ with root:root owner:group and rwxr-xr-x (0755) permissions.

Then, an ordinary user, e.g, andy can execute the program, but not change it.

Java is new to me and a bit odd. The JDK does indeed install as a root:root-owned program, but subsequently Audiveris installs to the user directory: /home/andy or /root.

So in future it might be more compatible to have the actual installation be done as root and installed in a conventional location such as /usr/bin.

As for how to do this in Java code... Can't help yet, but I'll keep learning.

Regardless, the Linux user can figure it out, I just need to get past that last installation glitch. Smile

Kind regards, Andy

Posted: May 26, 2014 13:26 by jlpoole
I recommend you not use root to install Audiveris. I'm pretty certain I had successfully built in in Gentoo Linux (not using Gentoo's portage system), though I had some issue which unfortunately at this time I cannot recall. The point is that deployment of Audiveris is designed to check to see if any new jar files exist at the home site and then automatically download them and install them. As such, you do not want to have root running those kinds of operations as it is a tremendous security risk.
Replies: 3 - Last Post: May 26, 2014 13:26
by: jlpoole
  • Mysql
  • Glassfish
  • Jruby
  • Rails
  • Nblogo
Terms of Use; Privacy Policy;
© 2014, Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates
(revision 20150626.29986a4)

Close
Please Confirm